- Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia
Via Morego 30
His research interest focuses on the investigation of the biophysical properties of the neurons and synapses. From a computational point of view the goal is that of understanding how these properties might affect computations at the highest levels, from network to behavioral relevant functions. At IIT he collaborates with laboratories involved in the investigation of the determinant of synaptic activity. Recently he has joined the Nets3 lab held by Luca Berdondini.
Most relevant publications
- Valente P, Casagrande S, Nieus T, Versetegen A, Valtorta F, Benfenati F, Baldelli P. Site-specific synapsin I phosphorylation participates in the expression of post-tetanic potentiation and its enhancement by BDNF. J. Neurosci 2012
- Marconi E, Nieus T, Maccione A, Valente P, Messa M, Dante S, Baldelli P, Berdondini L, Benfenati F Emergent functional properties of neuronal networks with controlled topology. Plos One 2012
- Farisello P, Boido D, Nieus T, Medrihan L, Cesca F, Valtorta F, Baldelli P, Benfenati F. Synaptic and Extrasynaptic Origin of the Excitation/Inhibition Imbalance in the Hippocampus of Synapsin I/II/III Knockout Mice. Cereb Cortex. 2012 Feb 24.
- Petrini, E.M., Nieus T. , Ravasenga, T., Succol, F., Guazzi, S., Benfenati, F., and Barberis, A. Influence of GABA-AR monoliganded states on GABAergic responses. J Neurosci. 2011 Feb 2;31(5):1752-61.
- Arleo, A. (*), Nieus T. (*), Bezzi, M. (*), D'Errico, A., D'Angelo, E., and Coenen, O. J.-M.D. How synaptic release probability shapes neuronal transmission: information-theoretic analysis in a cerebellar granule cell. Neural Comput, 22(8):2031-2058. 2010 (* equal contribution)
- Solinas, S., Nieus, T., and D'Angelo, E. A realistic large-scale model of the cerebellum granular layer predicts circuit spatio-temporal filtering properties. Front Cell Neurosci, 4:12. 2010
- Bologna L.L., Nieus T., Tedesco M, Chiappalone M., Benfenati F. and Martinoia S. Low-frequency stimulation enhances burst activity in cortical cultures during development. Neuroscience, 2009, 15 Nov.
- Garofalo M., Nieus T., Massobrio P. and Martinoia S., Evaluation of the performances of information theory-based methods and cross-correlation to estimate the functional connectivity in cultured cortical networks. PLoS ONE, 2009
- Nieus T., Sola E., Mapelli J., Saftenku E., Rossi P. and D'Angelo E. LTP regulates burst initiation and frequency at the mossy fiber-granule cell synapses of rat cerebellum: experimental observations and theoretical predictions. J Neurophysiol, 2006, 95, 686-699
- D'Angelo E.,Nieus T., Maffei A., Armano S., Rossi P., Taglietti V., Fontana A. and Naldi G. Theta-frequency bursting and resonance in cerebellar granule cells: experimental evidence and modeling of a slow K+ dependent mechanism. Journal of Neuroscience, 21:759-770, 2001.